Monday, February 13, 2006

Aren't we lucky?

On my way to a party in a hotel, a five star,
I came across a family in despair from my car,
Scrambling through the bins in rush,
In the main road not caring about the vehicles that hush.

A lone cry of a nude child,
Barely five, having a tiny body, hanging on life,
Screaming as loud as its quenched throat can say,
The lungs clearly visible, he was skin & bones all way.

The father who looked visibly unkempt,
Fighting with dogs and cows in a fitful attempt.
The family looked drained and frail,
No food for three days, had made them pale.

The mother was scrambling a hotel bin for food,
I felt "for all the party I enjoy, let me do them some good".
Gave the lady ten rupees - her face finally looked happy & good.
She rushed to a roadside shop across, and ordered for some cheap food.

As the food packets reached her hands, she must have thought,
My family is saved for the day, let's think of tomorrow when it dawns.
Though her body visibly aches and wanted to lay,
Her will-power made the steps back the way.

An overspeeding truck blaring hard its horns,
Couldn't control its motion and overran her all.
A crowd gathered around the corpse, noise was around.
The irony was; when she needed them, they were not found!.

All this view, I had from the car I was in,
Looked around to see my costly cell phone and everything.
God what value is ten rupees to me,
Yet there lies this lady, her story for tycoons to see.

As I saw the father and son move into the crowd,
I couldn't help thinking how they would react.
Two minutes after going in, I heard no uproar,
God, maybe they were too weak to cry their hearts to the core.

Near the body,which was drenched in blood,
There was no commotion, not even a fret.
Sitting in a corner was the man with his son,
Scavenging on the food packet...eating till it was all done.

The whole incident left an impression on me,
I skipped my dinner and thought of life of these three,
God I am grateful and I promise to be glee,
I ask the people who read this: "Aren't we lucky?"

not the end.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vijay said...

We are lucky certainly!! Enna dhideernu samudhaayathu maela oru kovam??

emotions penned beautifully

 

Post a Comment

<< Home