Saturday, January 31, 2015

My experiences with Thatha

Thatha had always been a man of few words. He was soft-spoken and concise. Thatha liked to be around family, loved his family, however he seldom expressed his feelings. He took pride in his roots and placed great value on matters of ancestral importance. He was quick to adapt to the new technologies. He carried a cellphone with him and was in sync with the internet age.

Thatha was very systematic in everything he did. He lived by the clock, but also had time for everything. He was punctual and most times early for his appointments.

Thatha loved his work. To say he lived to work is an understatement. From my experiences, Thatha would prioritize his work over family. Of course talking of Thatha’s professional success is not complete without mentioning about his wife, my grandmother. As a person as dedicated to work as Thatha was, he did not have time for family, and that is where my grandmother shined and still shines. My grandmother is to the family what my thatha is to his work and DLA.

Thatha did have a lot of respect for her. “She is like a mother to me”, he often told. Some years back my grandmother was admitted to the hospital. It was perhaps the only time I saw Thatha very upset. He would sit in the hospital corridor everyday waiting patiently for my grandmother’s recovery.

Thatha was not a typical grandfather. He did not shower me with gifts, but did instill values. From my very young age Thatha would emphasize on family values; teaching difference between want and need; importance of saving money and investing on land. If we walked to a place instead of hiring an auto, Thatha would give me the money and tell me I earned it. Thatha did not like borrowing money or taking gifts from others. He would often say that it would cause unnecessary obligation towards the giver. While I did not understand most of his ideals at that time, now as I grow older, I realize I learnt some of life’s important lessons very early, from Thatha.

Thatha loved to watch movies. Occasionally he stayed up late at night to watch a movie. He enjoyed the experience of watching the movie more than the movie itself. Thatha also liked to hike and explore the wilderness.

Thatha lived a simple life and was never attached to any material objects, unless it was of ancestral importance to him. He would not spend money on himself, but saved everything for this family. One cannot guess how much I achieved by studying his lifestyle. Thatha was actually an open book, an affable person by nature, who single-handedly handled many hardships to make sure his family was comfortable and successful.

I am blessed to have Prof. V. I. Subramoniam as my Thatha, and hope to make him proud one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home