Wednesday, February 22, 2006

AIRTEL rings the wrong tune

I wanted to write a bit on the advertising techniques used
by Airtel for long, but another fancy tactics by them, yesterday,
urged me to post it today.

There are hundreds of ways Airtel uses to advertise its products,
but what's with the calling?

Six months back, my grandmother was taking her mid-day rest, when
at around 2.30pm the telephone rang incessantly.
It took sometime for her to realise that infact the phone
was ringing and it was not a dream, as she earlier imagined.

She stumbled across the room, in a rush, not wanting to miss the
call, since if it is a call at mid-day, it has to be important.

Half awake she instinctly pressed the handset to her ear, only
to hear the computer blabber, "Boring ringtones, Change to
Airtel Hello Tunes...".

What can be more boring.

Telephone is an important device, integrated into our diurnal activities
in this modern world. There has to be some restrictions, which we as
humans should and do realise, like not calling after 10 pm, or before 6 am
or at noon, because people need Privacy.

But the computer from airtel has no norms. The poor advertising
technique reflects the "cheap" behavior of a leading communications
brand.

I am sure many of you guys, who used airtel cellphone would have
received plenty of SMS's notifying that new towers are added...
everywhere.

How important is this message, or how pressing is the need to send
an SMS. A couple of times, I had stopped my bike to check the message,
only to find a report on towers added in unknown areas.

A couple of times, I had missed messages from my family members,
assuming it is one of those unwarrented messages. What poor judgement,
but everyone I guess will fall for it.

I once got a call at 10pm in my landline, which broke my slumber, only
to find the boring hello tunes message once again.

I had complained about it twice, but I guess Airtel turns a deaf ear
to the things they don't want to listen.

Nowadays I get the call in my cell phone too. I cut it on seeing the
121 at the end. But that doesn't save me from stoping my bike,
after cutting the traffic, digging deep into the pocket
in a frenzied attempt to save the call, only to find the computer calling...

The call and message frequency has increased notably both for landline and
cell phone and it haunts me like the terminator one-liner "I'll be back".

I know it will come back, but dont know when. It may be this instant
I am typing this post, or tomorrow, or probably next week.

My phone is ringing... just as I thought, I see 121 in the end.

Is it wrong to ask for some privacy?

the end.

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vijay said...

Very true... Airtel really sux in this regard... I too have had simillar exps.
'Samudhayathula nadakura sandhoshangal, dhukkangal, ellathulayum mobile phone theva padudhu. Somebody has to do something abt this'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home