Saturday, February 25, 2006

The mystery of Swimming Pool...



I went for Swimming Pool today. The movie was put up under the "Pure Cinemas" banner in Sathyam Cinemas. Usually it is showed at 9.45pm, and unusually today it was shown at 4.00pm. Pure Cinemas is one dubious title, for if you don't like a movie and argue on the title, the rebuttal, often a safe one, is that you are naive or unsophisticated, to enjoy its intricate details. But if Swimming Pool means that, then I prefer to be called naive, rather than to act as if I understood even one bit of the movie.

Well the movie started like an art movie, bits and parts, left for the viewer to assemble in their own perspective, and make a meaning, which was obviously missing.
The movie involved some obscenes, but since it was supposed to be "pure", they were edited, not with stars or blurred images but edited in the sense, the whole scene had been removed! Now that not only removes the nudity, it also removes the whole plot.

The movie on the whole was a bit over 90 minutes, which without editing would be atleast 30 minutes more. On the whole the movie looked like a poor assembly of different pieces which made no meaning or moral. It was like stumbling upon 4 tires, a torn engine and an old chassis, then building a car on it, moreover expecting it to run. Ofcourse, I bet the movie is not so bad or meaningless, but the way the Satyam guys presented it was useless. I wonder how they kept it running for over a week. It was a letdown by Satyam, by any standards.

The audience were puzzled, throughout the movie, not to mention the shock when the end-credits came up. I think this is what they meant by a suspense movie. It was a suspense till the end, and even after that, on what the movie revolved around. It was also stated as a thriller movie. But again I suspect the thriller was when some person in the audience lost his cool and stripped the movie screen or stabbed the person sitting next to him. Sadly it didn't happen in my show. So I didn't get to see the thriller part.

All in all its a strict NO-NO movie in Satyam (might be better in DVD). The mystery of the swimming pool is a joke on the audience. Ofcourse when a movie is made and released it is with the best of intensions to please the audience, so let me recap the positives of this movie.
Here goes:










the end.

2 Comments:

At 8:09 AM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I watched it the previous day. I agree that the movie was toned down because of random cuts. But it wasn't bad by any standards.

I think you have to see it from Sarah Morton's point of view, rather than being a detached viewer. I guess that brings in the difference, because Julie is a tough-to-predict person. And how her role/character develops in the eyes of Sarah is what the plot is about.

Anyway, how about "Memoirs of a Geisha"? Can we make it weekend next?

 
At 11:20 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Subro said...

@VK: I am happy you found some clue out of the story. I am puzzled about some points:
1. Whats with the cross, why did she focus on that.
2. what happened to the old man, who was (well I guess), seduced by Sarah.
3. Which book did she publish, the one written by Julie's mother.
4. How can they be so emotionally carm after burying a person and telling "Lets go to sleep".
5. Who is that Julain, with braces in the end?
6. What really happened in the end, did she become the girl's mother and stay with her.

Ofcourse, I dont know what the entire movie had to offer, but the editing leaves a lot to be answered, right?. I liked the acting and character of Julie very much, daring and bold :)

I am out of station next weekend VK, so I think you taste it first, and based on what you feel, I will think over Geisha. But I heard its a very good movie .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home